DEDICATING THIS YEAR TO THE MEMORY OF MY GRANDFATHER STANLEY H. CROW &
THE ENDURING SPIRIT OF MY GRANDFATHER
FREDERICK O. LANPHEAR

To Be of Use

The people I love the best
jump into work head first
without dallying in the shallows
and swim off with sure strokes almost out of sight.
They seem to become natives of that element,
the black sleek heads of seals
bouncing like half submerged balls.
I love people who harness themselves, an ox to a heavy cart,
who pull like water buffalo, with massive patience,
who strain in the mud and the muck to move things forward,
who do what has to be done, again and again.
I want to be with people who submerge
in the task, who go into the fields to harvest
and work in a row and pass the bags along,
who stand in the line and haul in their places,
who are not parlor generals and field deserters
but move in a common rhythm
when the food must come in or the fire be put out.
The work of the world is common as mud.
Botched, it smears the hands, crumbles to dust.
But the thing worth doing well done
has a shape that satisfies, clean and evident.
Greek amphoras for wine or oil,
Hopi vases that held corn, are put in museums
but you know they were made to be used.
The pitcher cries for water to carry
and a person for work that is real.
~ Marge Piercy ~


Friday, March 4, 2011

Taking advantage of the time I have left!

I have been here almost six and a half months now, and I can really feel how fast the time is flying by. haha Im gonna be honest it has become difficult to write in english, so excuse me if I have some grammatical or spelling errors. This adventure in all has been an extremely life changing experience, and I am more the thrilled that I had the opportunity to do it. I think doing this, has opened many doors in my future, and really opened up doors in my mind to new possibilities, wether it is in my carrier choices or life choices. I now have this urge to go out and explore all parts of the world, and really get a feeling for the way other cultures live, and see the way things are done. I really do believe that this is the best start for me, and I know that Norway is not a dramatic change from my life in Seattle, but it has given me the confidence to become an individual, away from my parents and friends that have always been there for me. I now feel that I can make that step into adulthood, with knowing what real independence feels like.

I am going to be 18 next month, and I know that is a big step to take, a step that means something big. It is just a number and I know that, but it marks a step in life, one that means you are given the responsibility to be an individual and make choices for yourself. I have always been taken care of so well by my parents and loved ones, almost to the point when I never really had to do anything alone, and I have always appreciated that, but my year here has really shown me that I can do things alone, I can make those decisions by self and that I can be an independent person. Many of my friends here have and are turning 18, and I have gotten a see the life of an 18 year old here in Norway, and it is exciting, because they can legally drive, buy alcohol and go out to bars and so forth. Those are all cool things, but to me I believe 18 is something different, a step for me to show the world who Noah Lanphear really is. This is going to be a good year, a year followed by many years filled with big decisions, big accomplishments, and extreme growth as a person. I want my 18th birthday to represent a stepping stone in my life, I have finished my childhood years, and I am ready to take the leap into adulthood. A beginning to real responsibility!

My parents and grandparents are my inspiration in life, and they are the reason I am here right now. They have all moved away from the comforts of home , to go live in a place far away at one point in time and I can see how completely amazing people they are today because of those choices they made when they were young. None of them pushed me to do this, but simply showed me what it can do for the rest of your life. I thank all of them for giving me this opportunity, and I am and will continue to use this year to the fullest!

It is hard to think that I have less then four months left in the incredible place. I know that it is a good thing that time has flown by so fast, meaning that I have had an incredible time, but I wish it didnt have to come to end. I am not thinking about it now, because I want to use these months I have left, to explore places I havnt been, to meet people I havnt met, and to try new things. I want to be able to take back things I have seen and learned and share them with all my family and friends. I know that this year will be in my heart forever!

2 comments:

  1. I'm crying at work, silly boy. You move me to tears! I love you for your strength, commitment to family, love of life and sense of adventure. You are truly a wonderful young man and I am proud of you EACH AND EVERY DAY!

    I'm really looking forward to hearing all of your stories when you return. what a true blessing you are.

    xoxoxo,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honey. You are doing exactly what you need to be doing. You are becoming the man that you were meant to be. I love you soooooo much and I hope that you will always be led by adventure.

    ReplyDelete