DEDICATING THIS YEAR TO THE MEMORY OF MY GRANDFATHER STANLEY H. CROW &
THE ENDURING SPIRIT OF MY GRANDFATHER
FREDERICK O. LANPHEAR

To Be of Use

The people I love the best
jump into work head first
without dallying in the shallows
and swim off with sure strokes almost out of sight.
They seem to become natives of that element,
the black sleek heads of seals
bouncing like half submerged balls.
I love people who harness themselves, an ox to a heavy cart,
who pull like water buffalo, with massive patience,
who strain in the mud and the muck to move things forward,
who do what has to be done, again and again.
I want to be with people who submerge
in the task, who go into the fields to harvest
and work in a row and pass the bags along,
who stand in the line and haul in their places,
who are not parlor generals and field deserters
but move in a common rhythm
when the food must come in or the fire be put out.
The work of the world is common as mud.
Botched, it smears the hands, crumbles to dust.
But the thing worth doing well done
has a shape that satisfies, clean and evident.
Greek amphoras for wine or oil,
Hopi vases that held corn, are put in museums
but you know they were made to be used.
The pitcher cries for water to carry
and a person for work that is real.
~ Marge Piercy ~


Friday, December 31, 2010

Julestemning :)






Jul!
Jeg var veldig spent til jul, norsk mat, tradisjon, og feiring. Julen var kjempe flott, alle sammen rundt bordet, og juletreet. Vi spiste mye MYE deilig mat, sang sanger, åpnet gaver, og ga MANGE klemmer etterpå! Norsk Jul har mye tradisjoner, og jeg var så glad for å oppleve dette, jeg har ikke savnet de hjemme veldig mye denne julen... Jeg savner familien min i Seattle, men jeg elsker Norge veldig mye og jeg tenker på dette som hjemme allrede. Familien min her, er så snille! og det har vært veldig koselig denne julen med alle norske søsken her, og mye annen familie. Vi har vært på mange mange mange mange MANGE juleselskaper, og det er kjempe artig! Jeg skal aldri glemme norsk jul, fordi det er så koselig og det har veldig rike og morsomme tradisjoner.

I dag er nyttåraften, i kveld skal jeg og familien min dra til onkel, tante og søskenbarn og ha middag der. Etter på, vil det være mye fester og fyrverkeri. Det skal bli en kjempe artig kveld!

Det er litt rart å tenke på at jeg skal være i 2011, når familien min I Seattle skal forsatt være i 2010... haha bare litt rart synes...

God jul alle sammen! og ha et kjempe hyggelig nyttår!


English:

I was very excited for Christmas, the Norwegian food, the tradition, and celebrating. Christmas was amazing, everyone around the table and Christmas tree, we ate delicious food, sang songs, opened presents, and gave many hugs afterward. Norwegian Christmas has much tradition involved, and I was so excited for it, that I did not miss home that much during it. I miss my family back in Seattle, but I love Norway so much and I already think of it as a second home. My family here is so nice, and it has been so nice to have all my Norwegian siblings here, and other family all celebrating together. We have been to MANY Christmas parties and they were all so fun! I will never forget Norwegian Christmas, because it was so nice, and they have such rich and fun traditions.

Today is New Years eve, tonight my family and I are going to our uncle and aunts and cousins house for dinner :) After dinner there are many parties and fireworks. I think it will be alot of fun!

It is a little bit weird, thinking that I will be in a different year then my friends and family back home for 9 hours... just a little weird i think...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a wonderful Christmas. Stay safe tonight on New Year's!!! We'll be at John and Katrina's and I'll be missing you for sure. Mason is on a skiing trip so I won't have him with me either.

    Give my love to the family.

    I love you,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!!
    New Year's 2011 Fireworks Celebrations Around the World
    http://fireworks2011.blogspot.com/
    Demo on YouTube
    http://youtu.be/sDlFKY8JdEU
    http://youtu.be/QlQ3b0TfiFM
    http://youtu.be/FB7Wr_tfkFM
    http://youtu.be/ecbYCkSVzMw
    http://youtu.be/9Qe0Bp24bUw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Noah. I missed you over the holidays. You life seems so good there, it makes me very happy. Everybody is good here in Seattle. Stay warm! 2011 is going to be a great year. I Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hei!

    Jeg er på utveksling i USA i år, og har lest litt på bloggen din. Det er veldig imponerende at du klarer å skrive så bra norsk! I'm impressed! Jeg kommer fra Norge, og bor i Ålesund, som er et par timer sør for Molde. Synes det er interessant å følge med på hvordan du, som ikke er fra Norge, opplever de tingene som er helt dagligdagse for oss.
    Keep up the good work!

    Jeg skal forresten til Seattle i April!

    ReplyDelete